Recently Mr. George Inholo, formerly a country director of Unilever Uganda was appointed as a new Managing Director of Uganda Clays Limited.
His strategies to turn around the business include;
Team morale i.e. introducing performance based management
Embracing research and innovation as consumers are dynamic.
Reviewing cost implication within the business and closing every loophole along the process
Reducing production wastage
Revitalizing routes to the market by setting up agents across the country.
Increasing exports to offshore markets in DR Congo, Sudan, Rwanda and Burundi.
All the above put into practice, will lead to improvement in the profitability of the company.
The Company is overseen by a ten-member Board of Directors through Managing Director under whom there are seven departments, namely Human Resources and Administration, Audit, Finance, Information Technology, Marketing, Quality and Production.
The Company as at 30th June 2014 employed 693 people at its two factories in Kajjansi and Kamonkoli and various sales outlets in and outside Uganda.
Of these, 83 are managerial and clerical grades and 271 are unionised workers. The remaining 339 are contract/temporary/casual workers.
The Company is constantly upgrading the knowledge and skills of supervisors, foremen and managers through training and retraining.
The company was started on July 10, 1950 by two private Italian investors i.e. Mr. Hippocrates and Mrs. Clio Georgiadis as a private limited liability Company. The Company's ownership has changed hands over time. Currently it is a public liability company owned by private citizens after privatization in 1999. UCL is currently listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), the biggest shareholder being National Social Security Fund (32.5%) followed by National Insurance Corporation (18.7%).
The Company has won numerous trophies, awards and recognition, among which include:
1. Uganda Society of Architects [Sponsorship of symposiums] (2008, 2009))
2. Kampala City Traders Association [Best Baked Clay Products 2009/10] (2009)
3. Rotary Club of Kajjansi, District 920 [Vocational Award 2009] (2009)
4. Standard Charttered Bank-Recognition of true partnership 2009
5. ASEA in conjunction with USE [In recognition of invaluable contribution to the growth and development of Uganda Securities Exchange] (2008)
6. Uganda Society of Architects [Sponsorship of symposiums] (2008, 2009)
7. Kampala City Traders Association [Best Baked Clay Products 2009/10] (2009)
8. Rotary Club of Kajjansi, District 920 [Vocational Award 2009] (2009)
9. Standard Chartered Bank [Recognition of True Partnership] (2009)
10. Uganda International Trade Fair [Uganda manufacturers Association]: Best Exhibitor, Non-metallic sector (2009)
11.ISO: 9001:2008 Certification (2014).